I absolutely loved watching the Carol Burnett show when I was a kid. Although the skits were meant for my parents, I adored watching the comedians make fun of themselves and provoke each other to laugh. At the end of each show Carol would come on stage alone and sing a short chorus to her audience – as endearing and “authentic” as any “brand personality” could ever hope to be. And with a wink of an eye, and tug on the ear, the show was over for another week. It would always sadden me when it was over, but Carol’s reassuring voice always reminded me we would indeed meet again.
Tonight I sing goodbye to dear friends and the heat of the Arizona desert as I head home from a short family vacation. With a tug on my ear and a wink of my eye on this twelfth day of July I say adieu with twelve thoughts on what I believe we need in order to take aim at our journey’s future.
1) To take aim one must possess will and perseverance.
2) To take aim one must gain strength and release fear.
3) To take aim one must slow their breathing and embrace the stillness.
4) To take aim one must master technique.
5) To take aim one must set their sights on a target.
6) To take aim one must maintain single-focus attention.
7) To take aim one must possess patience.
8) To take aim one must commit to follow through.
9) To take aim one must have confidence in the shot.
10) To take aim one must be willing to miss.
11) To take aim one must be prepared to repeat failure.
12) To take aim one must be willing to let go.